Carlos Leonardo’s Italian Bread Recipe
-3 1/2 Cups whole wheat flour (sifted)
-Sugar or Honey
-1/4 liter milk
-Oats and/or Pecans and/or Walnuts
-Garlic 5 cloves
-Pepper to taste
– Olive oil
1. Heat water in kettle to warm the bowl where the yeast will be growing.
2. Place 1 cup of WARM water in bowl. If the water is hot, it will not be suitable, must be nice and WARM. Water in which you can submerge your fingers and feel comfy.
3. Add 3 spoonfuls yeast to the warm water in the bowl. Slowly stir in the dry yeast. Continue to stir until yeast is dissolved.
4. Add 1 Spoonful of SUGAR or HONEY. Add 1 BIG TEAspoon SALT. Add 1/4 liter MILK (preferably at room temperature)
5. Prepare Italian paste in mortar by mixing pressed garlic, pepper, rosemary and olive oil.
6, Let the yeast rise. Then, add 3 1/2 cups WHOLE WHEAT FLOUR, Italian paste from step (5).
7. Mix into a dough.
8. Butter LOAF pans
9. Place dough in pans. It should be 1/2 or 2/3 full. Add oat flakes, and/or Italian seasoning/herbs on top to decorate.
10. Cover with cloth and wait 45 minutes to allow the dough to rise. It needs to grow in the dark (under the cloth)
11. Preheat the oven to 375F. Bake / convect at 375F for 30 minutes.
12. Once the oven shuts off, leave the bread in there for 30 more minutes. It needs to cool off a bit.