Pollo Jacon con Arroz
Today’s activity was cooking class. Let’s learn how to make some Guatemalan food. We learned how to cook chicken with green salsa and rice.
Time: 30 minutes
1 cup of rice
½ Red peppers
Salt – to taste
- Green Salsa
100-200 g miltomate (small green tomato)
1 small bunch of cilantro
1 clove of garlic
2 stems of green onion
Black papper- to taste
Masa de maiz -to thicken the sauce
Chicken/ pork- 5 pieces of chicken thigh
1) Boil chicken with 1 L of water for 15 minutes in a pot. Add salt to taste.
2) Meanwhile, fry onion, red pepper and rice in a pan for 3-5 minutes, before adding water to it. Add salt to taste. Cook rice until it’s done.
3) For the salsa sauce, blend miltomate, cilantro, garlic, green onion, a pinch of black pepper for 5 minutes
Miltomate and green onion
Red pepper, onion and cilantro
Put them all into a blender
4) Pour out water from step 1, add the mix from step 3 to the pot. Add masa de maiz to thicken the sauce.
Cooking rice on the left and chicken with salsa on the right
5) Simmer for an extra 15 minutes or until the meat is done. Add salt to taste.
6) Consume 🙂
- Miltomate can be replaced by other tomato.
- Masa de maiz is some kind of corn dough. Corn starch can be used also.
- We are told this plate is good with pork also, not so good with beef though.